It is important to set a time and place for a balanced and paced set of activities. For some, routine is important: going to bed, exercising, meals, attending social events at set times daily and weekly. For others, variety is the spice of life. As Ecclesiastes chapter 3 says:” There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens.”
The human soul and body have very fundamental needs:
- Spirituality – We must ponder the purpose and meaning of life and its significance for eternity. It is not just about going to church or religion, but deciding if the divine exists and if so, how this is relevant and what relationship we should have with the higher power.
- Physical – The human body is made to move and work. We need to flex our muscles, exercise our heart and lungs to keep all the internal systems moving and working. Regular walking or engaging in another physical activity like dance, swimming or exercise class will fulfill this need.
- Intellectual – Our minds also need to be stretched. We do this by learning and practising a new language, musical instrument, hobby, doing crossword puzzles, sudokus, part-time or volunteer work. The experience you have gained throughout life will benefit another. Setting and meeting goals gives a sense of purpose.
- Social – Humans are created to live socially in a community and not as islands. Regardless of whether we are introverts or extroverts, a healthy dose of being with others can help chase away feelings of loneliness and give meaning to life.
- Emotional – Our feelings matter and contribute either to wellness, or anxiety, depression and dysfunction. When we acknowledge our feelings and give them expression, it helps us to regulate our emotions in a healthy way. It is when we suppress them or let them get out of control that problems arise.
When you are reaching the twilight of life, it is important to make every moment count and prioritize things that are meaningful to you and those around you. Do what you love and are passionate about. Don’t forget to share yourself with others to make this world a better place. You are never too old to contribute something positive to your family and community, even if it is an encouraging word, a helping hand or your skills and talents. Try to make amends from past hurts, forgive those who have hurt you and ask for forgiveness in return. That way you free yourself of guilt and live with a peaceful conscience.